What's your Big Idea—big enough to address a vexing societal challenge with the right engineering resources?
What's your passion? What national-level needs should we pursue today that will have impact in the next decade? For decades to come?
From now until Dec. 31, 2023, ERVA is calling on you to share Big Ideas—research problems for ERVA visioning. Topics selected by ERVA leadership will be explored during an ERVA visioning event with subject matter experts from across the nation. If your idea is chosen, you'll have the opportunity to play a leading role in shaping that event and its outcomes report, which can lead to action on a national scale, and be considered for authorship of a funded white paper.
ERVA seeks societal challenges that are:
- Ripe for engineering research intervention;
- Emerging, nascent, and currently under-resourced with respect to engineering;
- Capable of major societal impact (if resourced);
- Broad enough to engage the multidisciplinary engineering research community; and
- Distinct from the other ERVA visioning themes: The Role of Engineering to Address Climate Change, Leveraging Biology to Power Engineering Impact, Engineering R&D Solutions for Unhackable Infrastructure, and Sustainable Transportation Networks, Engineered Systems for Water Security, Engineering the Future of Distributed Manufacturing, Engineering Materials for a Sustainable Future, Strategic Thinking for Engineering Research in the Age of AI, Engineering Transformation in Women's Medical Outcomes, and Strategic Engineering Focus for Next-Generation Wireless Competitiveness.
Please use the prompts in the survey linked below to describe your research problem. The information you provide will be assessed for the potential for a visioning workshop theme. Feel free to share this survey with your colleagues in the engineering research community.